Wednesday 3 September 2014

Scout Camp


Before we came overseas I became a member of the Grafton scout group. So when we decided to go on our big trip I had the opportunity to go world scouting. I made sure my insurance was up to date and packed my scout uniform, record book and some badges to swap.

As soon as we got to London I did some research and tracked down the numbers we would need to call to get permission to visit a scout group in England. Then I found the web site for the 19th Wimbledon scout group and very soon I was able to go along to one of their meetings.

Because their scout hut is being rebuilt we did other activities at the local school, but it was still great to be with kids my own age. I was  very impressed with their uniform, which was a long sleeve green shirt with a red and green scarf, long navy blue trousers and a polished leather belt (which I thought looked very smart with the rest of their uniform).








 I was warmly welcomed into their ranks and was soon invited on their summer camp. I was only at the summer camp for 5 days because we were in France at the start of the camp, which went for 11 days. I made some great friends, and we had heaps of fun. The camp was a lot tougher than our camps in Australia because we had had to cook all our meals and have regular inspections but the toughest thing we did was a night hike, we left at roughly 9 at night and got back at 7 in the morning!  But overall I enjoyed it tremendously.

And to my amazement and delight on the last day of camp I was invested which means that I am now part of two scout groups! 


The tent we slept in.

Us washing up after we had made and eaten our dinner.

My patrol lighting the fire to cook breakfast on.

Day 10 eating the bacon and eggs we made.

Shawn wearing the sunglasses of shame.

Me and a few new friends

I had a great time and have lots of good ideas to improve our scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment